When it’s too hot to cook inside, make this super healthy and quick zucchini salad with fresh herbs. Just a few simple ingredients crumbled onto thinly sliced zucchini make this the perfect summer appetizer, side dish or lunch all to yourself.
I’m not kidding when I say that this zucchini salad comes together in just minutes, with the most time consuming (and fun) part being arranging the zucchini on the plate. This zucchini salad with fresh herbs is endlessly adaptable based on whatever looks the best in the garden.
Zucchini salad says summer
It is 100% zucchini month in our house and I am fully embracing it. I planted five zucchini plants in the garden this year which means I am harvesting zucchini every day. When I catch the zucchini on the smaller and tender side, I love to eat them raw, piled high with fresh herbs.
The key to this recipe is to shave everything as thin as possible before assembling. It allows the zucchini to quickly marinate in the light dressing and for each bite to be soft and satisfying.
My two favorite varieties of zucchini to grow for this salad are Green Machine and Costata Romanesco. When each plant is given a ton of room to grow, their leaves span 2 feet wide in the most beautiful heart shape. Photosynthesis and chlorophyll are the two words that come to mind staring into those giant leaves.
Zucchini Salad Ingredients:
- Zucchini : Use small, tender and fresh zucchini for this salad. Since the zucchini are served raw, you don’t want thick skin or big chewy seeds. Choose zucchini that are about an inch in diameter for the best results.
- Fresh Herbs: This salad is endlessly adaptable with whatever fresh herbs you have on hand. While my recipe calls for parsley and basil, I’ve also tried (and loved!) dill, mint and chives. You really can’t go wrong here.
- Feta: I use sheep’s milk feta from Whole Foods but I also think this salad works great with crumbled goat cheese or thin shavings of parmesan.
Questions about Zucchini Salad
Can you eat zucchini raw?
Totally! This was actually news to me a few years ago and it has since changed my relationship with zucchini. RIP to the days of flavorless and boring grilled zucchini skewers.
What size zucchini should I use?
Choose small, tender and fresh zucchini to eat raw in this recipe. Think about 1 inch in diameter. You don’t want to be picking thick skin out of the salad or any big chewy seeds.
Does summer squash work for this recipe?
Summer squash has a much thicker skin than zucchini and so I would not recommend it for this recipe. Save the summer squash for babagazuk instead!
Can I make this ahead of time?
The best way to eat this zucchini salad is immediately after assembling. This way you get just the right bite of crunchy raw zucchini that is packed with flavor from the dressing and fresh herbs. If you absolutely must make this ahead of time, I would keep all the chopped ingredients separate and assemble them right before serving.
Zucchini Salad with Fresh Herbs
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- olive oil, drizzle
- feta cheese crumbles
- fresh parsley & basil
- Using a mandolin, thinly shave the zucchini into rounds.
- Assemble the zucchini on a platter or plate in whatever fashion makes you happy.
- Sprinkle with thinly sliced red onion and crumbles of feta.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finely chop fresh herbs and sprinkle on top.
- Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @growingwithgertie on Instagram.
Some of the links listed are affiliate links, which means I get a little commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you. Thanks for your support!