In our house this cilantro recipe is also called Cilantro Chutney, but in honor of my friend Caitlin who after tasting a spoonful of this sauce, widened her eyes and whispered “this is magic”, I’m forever calling it Magic Cilantro Sauce. Whenever we make a big batch of Indian daal, making this sauce to drizzle on top is non-negotiable. Just a few simple ingredients thrown together in a blender make this the easiest flavor bomb to brighten salads, soups, roasted veggies… you name it.
Use that cilantro right now
The cilantro is really thriving in the greenhouse right now having overwintered from being planted last fall. It’s lush and delicate and hasn’t hinted at starting to go to seed yet. I know this won’t last long with cilantro, so I’m enjoying big batches of this fresh sauce while the cilantro is at it’s best.
Tips for making magic cilantro sauce
- When I have mint on hand I’ll also throw in a large handful. It’s not necessary but it’s another great way to use up a ton of fresh herbs.
- Bonus: This sauce also freezes well! If you’re long on cilantro, make a batch for the freezer and you definitely won’t regret it come winter. Enjoy this cilantro recipe all year round.
- Use this sauce on roasted veggies, a seared piece of salmon or to dip veggie samosas in.
- This sauce would make a nice vegan substitute for the feta cheese in my Roasted Cauliflower Salad recipe.
Magic Cilantro Sauce
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 small bunch mint optional
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice from 1/2 large lime
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 T water
- Wash the herbs and place them stems and all into a high speed blender. Add jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, olive oil and water.
- Blend on high until a smooth sauce forms. Adjust water or olive oil as needed depending on the size of your herb bunch. Salt to taste.
- Serve room temp with roasted veggies, daal soup, salads, etc.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @growingwithgertie on Instagram.
Some of the links listed are affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission from the retailer at no cost to you. Thanks for your support!